Saturday, September 29, 2012

Mickey Checks In!

Below is an e-mail I received from Mickey this week.  He is the best and this pool is better with him in it!

When I was an adolescent male back in Lake County Indiana, a VERY long time ago, I was a fan and regular viewer of professional wrestling on UHF channel 26 in Chicago.(told ya it was a long time ago!) I cheered for Vern Ganya, the Great Moolah, and even got to go to some live matches, and see Dick the Bruiser, and Moose Cholak battle the hated Chaingang. I, we, refused to believe that this stuff was rigged, fixed, payolaed, scammed, or shammed. We WANTED to believe that there was genuine integrity in this sweaty sport that we loved to stare at in wonderment, and emulate in grassy back yards. As I became a man, I put away childish things, and began to chase women full time. Years later, I saw some suit on TV openly admit to a reporter that the WWF, and all pro wrestling was nothing more than choreographed entertainment. I was crushed, even though I hadn't watched wrestling for years. Now, my sports passion is the NFL, and participating in the Shark's Pool adds spice to the experience. We all have our favorite teams (Let's go Bears!) but, to quote Rose Sanborn, ..."the Shark's Pool makes you CARE about all those other games." But the first three weeks of this much anticipated season is bringing back the stink of the fix. I felt bad about being eliminated from the Survivor Pool in week 2, but now realize that it doesn't matter anyway. I put 16 on Green Bay tonight, because it was the Monday night game. My 15, 14, and 13 picks all lost, in what have to be considered "upsets". My friend Tom suggests flipping coins next week, and he may be right. Whether it is the missed calls, bad calls and non calls of the Replacement Officials, supported by the NFL Commissioner, or a much darker, devious world of favors, blind eyes, and envelopes passed under the table, ladies and gentlemen, something stinks like sour shit. I will probably go to my grave before I see some suit tell a reporter on TV that, "it's just entertainment", and that is for the best. Like that movie The Matris, or the Star Trek episode entitled The Menagerie, I think I would prefer my illusion, to the truth.


Please post this in the Words section...Thanx.
 
Mickey 9-24-2012

1 comment: