Saturday, January 9, 2010

Season Recap

In a stunning final week, Ellie Cerney jumps from 3rd place to win the 2009 SWS Championship by 1 point over Kelly H. This is Ellie's 2nd title in the last 3 years and now walks on some hallowed ground in SWS history. There had been only 4 people in the history of the SWS to have won multiple seasons before this season. The list of multiple winners is below:

Jack P. - 3 titles ('98, '02, and '03)
Jill - 2 titles ('99 and '01)
Jerry H. - 2 titles ('00 and '06)
Chad - 2 titles ('96 and '97)
Ellie - 2 titles ('07 and '09)

Of course, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to interview Ellie and try to gain some insight from this tremendous champion.

Commish: "Ellie, congrats on an amazing final week and your 2nd championship. I really never considered you a contender this year and then out of nowhere you pulled it out. It was amazing."

Ellie: "Thanks but to be honest Dad, I am not surprised you had no clue. You literally spent about 45 seconds each week looking at the standings before you wrote your recaps. It's no wonder you didn't have any feel for who was going to win. You also predicted on numerous occasions that the survivor pool was on the verge of wrapping up and it ended with 3 people left. You really had the pulse of the SWS community....."

Commish: "Thanks Ellie. Well, if my day consisted of waking up as late as I want, then having someone make breakfast for me, then proceeding to eat that breakfast as messily as possible so that I could finish in time to take a dump and then ask the person who made that breakfast to wipe my rear, which would then be followed by me watching as much tv as possible until I had to go to school for a whopping 2 hrs. and 15 minutes, and then come home and have a snack and then play with toys until dinnertime, all the while responding to any requests for help like I was being asked to read a Calculus book, I would have more time to vigorously study the standings. But, only one of us has that life!"

Ellie: "Dad, take a deep breath. Your face is beginning to get red and puffy. Or more correctly, redder and puffier."

Commish: "Okay, let's start this again. Ellie, what would you consider your greatest strength that allowed you to win the SWS again."

Ellie: "I have actually thought about this quite a bit, Dad. Let's face it, I am only 6 years old. Someone my age shouldn't win a pool this size twice in 3 years. I think it comes down to a couple of things. First of all, I have a strategy and I stick to it and don't panic too easily. Second, and most importantly, I feel that living with Joey, or as I like to call him on most days, Joey-Qaeda, has hardened me to not feel much pressure in this pool. When you wake up each day with your head on a swivel waiting for someone to attack you, you develop a sense of calm when it comes to picking football games."

Commish: "Ellie, I am not sure what to...."

Ellie (interrupting): "Listen Dad, I know what I am dealing with here. Living with this kid is like living with a human grenade with the pin out. You know it is going to explode, you are just not quite sure when. One minute he will be playing dolls with me while wearing a pair of my pajamas and the next minute, he will be dressed like Darth Vader attacking me with a tennis racket. It is a lot like the NFL. Very unpredictable."

Commish: "So, beyond the constant threat of bodily harm hardening your nerves, you are saying that Joey's multiple personalities has helped reinforce the chaos that is the NFL season. Interesting."

Ellie: "Exactly. No matter what I do, he will view me the same way. A real word example of this is our government's plan on closing of Guantanamo Bay......"

Commish (interrupting): "Was that my phone? I gotta run. Thanks Ellie! Congrats again!"



Congrats also go out to Kelly H. for a great and very profitable season. MJ Cranky P secures 3rd place while Rick falls into a tie for 4th with Marc B. Before Rick's precipitous fall near the end of the season, he had held the lead for most of the year and was the most consistent performer for most of the year. One has to wonder if this year will prove to be a stepping stone for greater things or will this crushing collapse haunt his SWS career. Only time will tell.

In other news, 3 people tied for the survivor pool this year. The winners were Jan Benson, Kevin Haugh, and Brian C. I know tensions were running a little high when I was delayed getting the survivor sheet up for a half hour and already got the following email from Tim C., Brian's dad......
Hey Mick,
Did the other 3 guys make their picks for the survivor pool? Poor Brian is pacing around here like an expectant father with the clap.
Tim

No one ever said that the SWS was easy.

I have been in touch with many of you but for those of you who have monies due, please send them to:

Mike Cerney
1716 77th St.
Naperville, IL, 60565

I have begun making payouts to those people who have already paid me and have winnings due. They will get first priority. I hope to have all payouts done within the next two weeks. I will be in touch if I don't have your address.

I just want to quickly thank everyone for joining the pool again this year. It was alot of fun and I plan on being back next year and will hopefully see all of you. Have a great offseason and until next year, that is all.

Commish

No comments:

Post a Comment